Job Vacancy - Maintenance Mechanic Assistant
Auburn Housing Authority
Maintenance Mechanic Assistant (06.04.19)
4824-9007-5723, v. 3
Position Title: Maintenance Mechanic Assistant
Department: Multifamily Housing
Reports To: Regional Maintenance Manager
Employment Status: Regular, Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary and Grade (Compease 2019): $11.84 - $17.77 per hour
Date Posted: July 25, 2019
Date Closed: Open Until Filled
The primary purpose of this position is to maintain the Auburn Housing Authority and its managed agencies’ housing sites and grounds by fulfilling work orders within specified timeframes. The incumbent receives assignments that include but are not limited to: carpentry, painting, electrics, plumbing, drywall, ground maintenance, and janitorial activities. This position periodically serves as worker on call for emergency calls during periods in which no one is scheduled to work, such as nights, weekends, and holidays.
All activities must support the Auburn Housing Authority (“AHA” or “Authority”) and its managed agencies’ missions, strategic goals, and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other responsibilities, duties, and skills may be required and assigned, as needed.
- Receives work orders and fulfills specifications within indicated timeframes.
- Willingness to utilize latest technologies and improvements to increase efficiency in the workplace, to include but not limited to, computers, data tablets, phones, etc.
- Performs carpentry repairs to damaged walls, roofs, woodwork, floors, gutters and downspouts, garage doors, cabinets, interior and exterior doors, and other housing fixtures.
- Uses brushes, rollers, and related equipment to apply the required number of coats of paint, enamel, varnish, lacquer, or other protective or decorative material on a variety of surfaces.
- Repairs plaster, patches old plaster, and removes loose plaster in Authority properties.
- Assists in repair or replacement of wiring and parts for electrical outlets, switches, light fixtures, and breaker switches and fuses.
- Assists in repair or replacement of plumbing fixtures and fittings, including but not limited to: showers, faucets, drains, sewer lines, toilets, sinks, water heaters, and water pumps.
- Assists with installation and maintenance of HVAC equipment.
- Assists in repair, adjustment, or replacement of various appliances and equipment, including but not limited to: refrigerators, boiler systems, gas and electric stoves, furnaces, electric motors, vacuum cleaners, water heaters, smoke detectors, washers and dryers, air conditioners, and generators.
- Assists in inspections of occupied and vacated housing units; repairs and paints units as needed.
- Performs janitorial duties, including but not limited to: cleaning floors, restrooms, trash rooms, boiler rooms, halls, stairways, and sidewalks.
- Performs ground maintenance tasks, such as gardening and maintaining curb appeal.
- Conducts inventory of appliances, as requested, ensuring serial numbers coordinate with serial numbers on file.
- Maintains maintenance inventory and supplies.
- Performs on-call service during evenings and weekends on a scheduled or rotating basis.
- Immediately reports all maintenance work related incidents to management in accordance with company policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Job Knowledge: Exhibits requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the position effectively. Demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, goals, objectives, operational entities, requirements, and activities as they apply to the assigned organizational entity of the Authority. Uses appropriate judgment & decision making in accordance with level of responsibility.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands, monitors and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind. Recognizes work colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing. Demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; listens effectively.
Initiative: Proactively seeks solutions to resolve unexpected challenges. Actively assists others without formal/informal direction. Possesses the capacity to learn and actively seeks developmental feedback. Applies feedback for continued growth by mastering concepts needed to perform work.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work; does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Knowledge of AHA building facilities and equipment.
- Knowledge of AHA rules, policies, and safety procedures.
- Knowledge of building component and repair materials terminology.
- Skills in the proper use and care of motorized equipment, shop, and hand power tools.
- Skills in solving general repair problems and performing simple mathematical calculations.
- Knowledge of general repair and preventive maintenance techniques; and demonstrated ability to skillfully apply knowledge in performing assigned work.
- Basic knowledge of painting, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and construction practices; and demonstrated ability to skillfully apply knowledge in performing assigned work.
- Ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals.
- Ability to read and understand work orders, assignments, directions, instructions, warnings, service manuals and AHA policies and procedure manuals in writing, or given orally in English.
- Ability to coordinate and perform multiple functions simultaneously.
- Ability to work outside for long periods of time in all kinds of weather.
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma or GED equivalent and a minimum of one (1) year of experience in construction or building maintenance, or vocational training focusing in maintenance work such as grounds maintenance, carpentry, plumbing, and electrical repairs. Must possess a valid driver’s license and be insurable under the Authority’s plan.
To perform this job successfully, the employee should be able to successfully operate a variety of applicable hand-held tools and devices. Must have the ability to read blueprints, plans, and specification, as well as repair manuals and instructional guides. Must have the ability to write service requests and maintenance and inspection reports. Must have the ability to learn other processes as required by assigned tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, the employee is frequently required to travel to and throughout various Authority properties to clean and maintain grounds. Daily movements include sitting; standing; reaching and grasping; moving about the properties; and attending onsite meetings and offsite meetings. The employee must be able to exchange information in person, in writing, and via telephone. The employee must occasionally transport up to 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position generally works on Authority properties, which may cause the employee to experience a range in temperatures and other weather conditions. The noise level may be loud and the environment may be more hazardous than a standard office environment. This position may be required to work with contractors as well as Authority residents.
- Group Medical Benefits
- Group Dental Benefits
- Group Life Insurance
- State Retirement
- Supplemental Insurance
- Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- Four-Day Work Week (Monday - Thursday)
The AHA is an equal opportunity employer with a drug free work place. We offer a very competitive compensation package and the opportunity to become an integral part of the continued growth of our organization. AHA gives preference in employment to Section 3-eligible individuals.
To apply, please Email your resume and include the job title “Maintenance Mechanic Assistant” in the subject line of your email. If you have questions about the Maintenance Mechanic Assistant position, please call 334-821-2262 or 334-864-8391.