Skip to Main Content
Like us on Facebook
More >

HCV/Section 8

This section contains information regarding HCV/Section 8 in the Auburn, LaFayette and Roanoke Housing Authority areas.

The HCV program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. HCVs are administered locally by public housing agencies (PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from HUD to administer the voucher program.

The Auburn HA administers the following HCV programs:

  • Tenant-Based Vouchers (TBV)/Section 8
  • Project-Based Vouchers (PBV)
  • Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)

Apply Online

Tenant-Based Vouchers (TBV)/Section 8

The TBV/Section 8 allows participants to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the AHA.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the AHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

Project-Based Vouchers (PBV)

PBVs are a component of AHA's HCV program. The voucher assistance is attached to specific housing units. The Auburn and Lafayette Housing Authorities converted its public housing units to PBV. The primary difference in public housing and PBV is that the funding goes through the HCV program. The housing units remain the same.

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)

The VASH program combines HUD's Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). VA provides these services for participating Veterans at VA medical centers (VAMCs), community-based outreach clinics (CBOCs), through VA contractors, or through other VA designated entities. If you are a Veteran and wish to utilize the VASH voucher, please contact the Central Alabama Health Care System (CAVHCS) at 334-727-0550 or 800-214-8387.

Mainstream Vouchers

Mainstream vouchers assist non-elderly persons with disabilities. Aside from serving a special population, Mainstream vouchers are administered using the same rules as other Housing Choice Vouchers. Funding and financial reporting for Mainstream vouchers are separate from the regular tenant-based voucher program. AHA's Mainstream waiting list is closed. AHA will provide notice through a variety of media outlets when it reopens.

Foster Youth to Independence Initiative (FYI)

HUD's FYI targets housing assistance to young people aging out of foster care and who are at extreme risk of experiencing homelessness. The initiative offers housing vouchers to local public housing authorities to prevent or end homelessness among young adults under the age of 25 who are, or have recently left, the foster care system without a home to go to. Eligible applicants must be referred to AHA by the Alabama Department of Human Resources. If you are a foster youth that is about to age out of foster care and wish to utilize the FYI voucher, please contact the Alabama Department of Human Resources at (334) 242-1310.

Homeownership Program

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Homeownership Program allows families that are assisted under the Tenant Base Voucher (TBV) program to use their voucher to buy a home and receive monthly assistance in meeting homeownership expenses.

The HCV Homeownership Program is available only to families that have been admitted to the TBV program. To participate in the HCV Homeownership Program, the HCV family must meet specific income and employment requirements (the employment requirement does not apply to elderly and disabled families), be a first-time homeowner as defined in the regulation, attend and satisfactorily complete the pre-assistance homeownership and housing counseling program required by AHA, and meet any additional eligibility requirements set by the AHA. If you are a current TBV participant and wish to utilize the homeownership program, please contact your caseworker.

Natasha Hall, HCV Caseworker III
Ph.: (334) 821-2262 ext. 267

Rachel Harris, FSS Coordinator
Ph.: (334) 821-2262 ext. 259


Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS)

The FSS program is a HUD workforce program offered to participant families. The goal of FSS is to assist participants to increase their income in order to decrease their reliance on housing subsidies. Because we recognize that true self-sufficiency means more than simply an increase in earned income, AHA's program focuses on all barriers.

The FSS Program provides participants with individualized case management, referrals to resources and services, educational workshops, and guidance in goal setting and achievement over a five-year period. The program is completely voluntary.

If you are interested in the FSS program, please contact the FSS Coordinator, Rachel Harris, at 334-821-2262 ext. 259 or by email at


Emergency Rental Assistance Program

During the coronavirus pandemic, millions of renters have struggled to make their monthly payments. If you're having trouble paying your rent, utilities, or other housing-related costs, rental assistance may be available to you. The Emergency Rental Assistance Alabama program was created to help renters cover their housing-related costs and stay in stable housing during the pandemic.

To qualify, you must have experienced financial hardship during the COVID19 pandemic, meet local income requirements, and be behind on your rent. Visit to learn more or to apply.

To Learn More About Our HCV Programs Visit: 


Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the AHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family's income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. The income limits are published by HUD. Other factors are considered when determining eligibility.

2022 HUD Income Limits Lee County/Auburn-Opelika, AL (MSA)
Maximum Household Income based on number of family members
1 Person in Family = $30,550
2 Person in Family = $34,900
3 Person in Family = $39,250
4 Person in Family = $43,600
5 Person in Family = $47,100
6 Person in Family = $50,600
7 Person in Family = $54,100
8 Person in Family = $57,600


2022 HUD Income Limits Chambers County
Maximum Household Income based on number of family members
1 Person in Family = $21,600
2 Person in Family = $24,650
3 Person in Family = $27,750
4 Person in Family = $30,800
5 Person in Family = $33,300
6 Person in Family = $35,750
7 Person in Family = $38,200
8 Person in Family = $40,700


You'll find links to all of the components of the FY 2022 income limit data set on this page at the HUD User website. The limits became effective Monday, April 18, and remain effective until they are superseded by next year's limits.