Skip to Main Content
Auburn, LaFayette & Roanoke Housing Authority Mobile Logos
Like us on Facebook

Eligibility Requirements

The HCV program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. HCVs are administered locally by public housing agencies (PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from HUD to administer the voucher program.

The Auburn HA administers the following HCV programs:

  • Tenant-Based Vouchers (TBV)/Section 8
  • Project-Based Vouchers (PBV)
  • Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)

Tenant-Based Vouchers (TBV)/Section 8

The TBV/Section 8 allows participants to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the AHA.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the AHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

Project-Based Vouchers (PBV)

PBVs are a component of AHA’s HCV program. The voucher assistance is attached to specific housing units. The Auburn and Lafayette Housing Authorities converted its public housing units to PBV. The primary difference in public housing and PBV is that the funding goes through the HCV program. The housing units remain the same.

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)

The VASH program combines HCV rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Eligibility (list income limits)

Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the AHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family's income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. The income limits are published by HUD. Other factors are considered when determining eligibility.

2021 HUD Income Limits Lee County/Auburn-Opelika, AL (MSA)
Maximum Household Income based on number of bedrooms
1 Bedroom = $27,300
2 Bedroom = $31,200
3 Bedroom = $35,100
4 Bedroom = $39,000
5 Bedroom = $42,150
6 Bedroom = $45,250
7 Bedroom = $48,400
8 Bedroom = $51,500


2021 HUD Income Limits Chambers County
Maximum Household Income based on number of bedrooms
1 Bedroom = $19,300
2 Bedroom = $22,050
3 Bedroom = $24,800
4 Bedroom = $27,550
5 Bedroom = $29,800
6 Bedroom = $32,000
7 Bedroom = $34,200
8 Bedroom = $36,400